Diocese on the Niger Women’s Ministry is made up of the Women Ministry of the 18 Archdeaconries in the Diocese. The President, Dr Mrs. Elsie Nonyelum Nwokolo is assisted by the Presidents of these Archdeaconries as her Vice Presidents. The Archdeaconries are: Cathedral, Onitsha, Nnobi, Ogidi, Oyi, Obosi, Onitsha Central, Onitsha South, Oba, Nkpor, Awada, Inland Town, Abatete, Nkpor New Covenant, Ascension, Divine Grace, Alor and Oyi Central. Women’s Ministry also has Unit Committees through which it achieves its aims and objectives. These Units are Action and Outreach, Prayer and Spirituality, Finance and Central Services, Training, Marketing, Communications and Events. Others are Protocol, Kitchen, Music, Orphan and Vulnerable Children (OVC), Girls’ Guild, WOWICAN, Clergy Wives Choral Wing, Young Wives, and Catechists/Church Teachers Wives. Each unit has a co-ordinator at the Diocesan level that is part of the executive. At the Archdeaconry and Parish levels, each unit also has a coordinator. The Diocesan Women’s Ministry runs Non Governmental Organization’s through which we reach the less privileged, and also adds quality to the society. Some of these NGO’s are Mother’s Union, OVC – Crowther Homes. Some programmes of the Women’s Ministry are Mother’s Union and Women’s Guild Activities, Women’s Day Celebration and Diocesan Women’s Conference organized annually. It is our aim to demonstrate our Christian faith in action by transforming our communities through the nurture of Christian families as well as families of its various forms. The President therefore takes pride in promoting activities that will mobilize the women for effective work of evangelism in the church, in homes, places of work and the communities. It does this through Bible study and Discussion, enlightenment on Synod theme for the year and activities of various units. Activities are also organized for the edification of the women through Health talks and discussions on issues concerning women. Our website will be updated regularly so as to provide the women and visitors to the site with latest information about the Diocese on the Niger Women’sMinistry. BRIEF HISTORY OF WOMEN’S MINISTRY, DIOCESE ON THE NIGER Diocese on the Niger Women’s Ministries was instituted in 1975 by Mrs. Beatrice Onyemelukwe, the wife of the then Bishop on the Niger the Rt. Rev Jonathan Onyemelukwe. Her work and service have left a lasting and strong effect on the mode of activities and performance of the women of the old Niger especially as she introduced the Mary Sumner uniform to stop unnecessary expensive dress competition at women’s church meetings and conferences. She also produced the Women’s Guild and Mother’s Union uniforms for the same reasons in the Diocese on the Niger, and other Dioceses are imitating her example. The building of Sharon House which started as the Mary Sumner House was also part of her work worth mentioning. Mrs. Beatrice Onyemelukwe in 2000 handed over to Dr (Mrs.) Ngozi Okeke, the wife of the Rt Rev Ken Sandy Okeke. Dr (Mrs.) Ngozi Okeke met the Sharon House at the roofing stage. After roofing the building she did extensive internal changes to make the building more user-friendly. To the glory of God, she opened the building in February 2005. She started many more projects viz the Hair Salon, the Computer Institution and the Bakery. Later she introduced the practice of pulling together the fund raised from Archdeaconry conferences for our Diocesan projects and this proved very beneficial. Through this practice, the following projects were completed: -1. Sharon Business Complex which houses the Diocesan Human Development Services office, the Diocesan Women’s Health and Welfare Unit Office and the Youth Friendly Centre (in partnership with NYNETHA – National Youth Network for HIV/AIDS). 2. Crowther Children’s Home. 3. Crowther Teen Center. 4. The two – storey building for accommodation and dining hall at the Crowther Retreat Centre. Dr (Mrs.) Ngozi Okeke (Nneobioma) in 2011 handed over to Dr. (Mrs.) Nonyelum Nwokolo (Mama Niger), the wife of the present Bishop on the Niger Rt. Rev Dr. Owen Chiedozie Nwokolo. Dr (Mrs.) Nwokolo completed the Bethany Chapel, Crowther Retreat Centre and M.U plaza. She is currently building the Sharon Guest House with 46 rooms and Skill Acquisition Center. She has also embarked on Agricultural projects and many other investments like the purchase of lands and Hostel.
Address: DON Secretarait
+234 (0)803 521 1195
Monday: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Bishop’s court, Ozala Road, PO Box 42, Onitsha, Anambra State, Nigeria
History Diocese on the Niger
The history of the Diocese on the Niger dates back to the Niger expeditions of 1830 – 1857. After the 1841 expedition, the white missionaries realised that Africa was best evangelised by Africans. This realisation led to Samuel Ajayi Crowther being given the privilege of playing a prominent role in the mission team to West Africa especially, the Igbo mission. The mission train under the leadership Dr. William Baikie arrived Onitsha on Sunday, 26 July 1857. On 27 July 1857 the King of Onitsha, Obi Akazua and his elders-in-council gave the party a warm official welcome. Hence, 27 July came to be regarded as the beginning of the Church Missionary Society (CMS) mission in Igbo land. It is important to note that J.C Taylor of Igbo origin played a vital role in the early mission activities in Igbo land. Rev J. C. Taylor laid the foundation of the first Church in Igbo land in 1867, which was dedicated on 16 November 1870.
he Anglican Bishop on the Niger, Rt...
In his short and concise sermon this...
“Vision animates, inspires, transforms purpose into action.”...
WELCOME ADDRESS PRESENTED TO THE CHURCH OF NIGERIA ( ANGLICAN COMMUNION ) STANDING COMMITTEE, HOLDING AT ALL SAINTS CATHEDRAL ONITSHA, ANAMBRA STATE FROM MONDAY 8TH TO FRIDAY 12TH FEBRUARY 2021 – Bishop Owen Chiedozie NwokoloTHEME: Costly Commitment; The imperative in following...
The Great Shepard on the Niger made...